Our animal friends have a lot to teach us about themselves. Even scientists can be shocked and amazed while learning them. For example, when the researchers discovered the platypus, they actually thought it was a scam.
On Bright Side, we love getting to know the creatures of the world, so we share a list of facts about animals that will surprise you.
- Pandas can sleep anywhere, so they usually fall asleep wherever they happen to be.
- Squirrels use their tails as umbrellas and parachutes.
- Hedgehogs suffer from lactose intolerance.
- Dik diks mark their territories with tears.
- The eye of a giant squid is as big as a human head, around 10 inches in diameter.
- A dog’s nose print is as detailed as a human fingerprint and can be used to identify them.
- Kangaroos can’t jump if their tail is off the ground.
- The sweat of a hippopotamus appears red and brown on its skin.
- Otters have a little pouch on their bodies where they keep their favorite rock.
- Giraffes only sleep for around 4 and a half hours a night, on average.
- Cats have 32 muscles in each ear.
- Elephants are one of the 3 animals that go through menopause, along with humans and humpback whales.
- Goats have almost 360-degree vision around themselves.
- Mice can sense each other’s pain and sadness.
- Pigeons are able to do basic math. They can also be trained to tell the difference between Pablo Picasso and Claude Monet.
- Some sperm whales have accents when they communicate with each other.
- Tigers have striped skin underneath their striped fur.
- Sheep can treat their own illnesses by choosing to eat medicinal plants.
- Meerkats will assign a guardian to keep watch while the others in the pack go and play.
- Baby elephants suck on their own trunks, like pacifiers.
- The Mantis Shrimp can see colors that humans cannot, having 16 receptive-cones in their eyes. For reference, humans only have 3 (allowing us to see red, blue, green, and all of the colors derived from them).
- Slugs have 4 noses.
- When mating, dragonflies make a heart shape with their tails.
What are some surprising animal facts that you know? Share with us in the comments!